The Autocar Company is a Hagerstown, Indiana expert producer of cabover professional trucks, chiefly for deny provisions. Began in 1899 in Ardmore, Pennsylvania as a producer of Brass Era vehicles, and trucks from 1907. The last autos were processed in 1912, yet the organization proceeded as a truck producer until 1953 when they were assumed control by the White Motor Company. White was assumed control thus by Volvo Trucks in 1980 with Autocar proceeding as a division. In 2001, it was sold to Grand Vehicle Works Holdings, which keeps on uing the brand name for their line of trucks.
The organization was known as the Pittsburgh Motor Vehicle Company when begun in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1897 yet turned into the Autocar Company in 1899 when it moved to Ardmore, Pennsylvania, outside Philadelphia. One of the organization’s ahead of schedule autos was the Pittsburgher. By 1907, the organization had chosen to focus on business vehicles, and the Autocar brand is still being used for business trucks.
In light of the minutes of organization governing body gatherings throughout 1903-1907 it is realized that in 1903 the Board of Directors incorporated the president, Louis S. Clarke, the secretary, John S. Clarke, and, James K. Clarke. Both Louis Semple Clarke and his sibling John S. Clarke were parts of the mythical South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club of Johnstown Flood popularity.
Autocar organizer Louis Semple Clarke (1867–1957) was a great mechanical specialist. Around Clarke’s developments were the sparkle plug for gas motors, an idealized drive shaft framework for autos, and the first outline of a helpful oil course framework. Clarke’s assertion of putting the driver on the left hand side of the vehicle accelerated that institutionalization all around the majority of the auto business worldwide, and hence we drive on the right half of the street. The patented porcelain-encased sparkle fitting methodology was sold to Champion and remains the industry standard.
Clarke was likewise a skilled photographic artist. His family were parts of the exclusive South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club above Johnstown, Pennsylvania, whose earthen dam at Lake Conemaugh blast on May 31, 1889, creating the Johnstown Flood.
Clarke sold his investment in Autocar in 1929 and resigned from business. He kicked the bucket in Palm Beach, Florida, on January 6, 1957, and is covered in Allegheny Cemetery, in Pittsburgh.
The main auto in 1900 was a solitary barrel chain drive runabout. Something like 27 were made.
The 1904 Autocar was provided with a tonneau, it could situate 4 travelers and sold for Us$1700. The even mounted level 2, arranged at the front of the auto, prepared 11 hp (8.2 kw). This was a sort of abnormal motor outline for the time, with most organizations processing inline outlines. A 3-pace transmission was fitted. The steel and wood-surrounded auto weighed 1675 lb (760 kg). The unanticipated autos had tiller directing.
In 1905 the organization was offering the Type XII auto for $2,250 and an alternate it called the Type X for $1,000. It ended the Type XI and sold the keep going of them in 1905. The autos now had wheel guiding with left hand drive.
The Type X was a runabout. Throughout the 1905-1906 model year the organization prepared 1000 Type X autos. The production of 500 Type XV runabouts was sanctioned for 1907 set up of 500 touring autos (Type XIV) notwithstanding the 1000 runabouts as of recently arranged. At extraordinary gathering on June 19, 1906 held at 711 Arcade Building, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the board sanctioned the contracting of a general chief by the name of Harry A. Gillis at a compensation of $10,000 for every year. Processing of 300 Type XVI autos and 500 Type XVII were approved throughout a Board Meeting on November 21, 1906.
Business vehicles were produced from 1907 and soon dwarfed autos.
Starting 1911, Autocar was making just trucks. The foremost model had a 97-inch wheelbase, an one and a half ton limit, and a 2-chamber gas motor under the seat. Later, motors had 4 and 6 barrels, and wheelbases got to be longer. Traditional motors turned into the organization’s centering.
In 1929, Autocar sold 3300 units, however the number tumbled to 1000 in 1932 and kept on decliing throughout the Great Depression. Bigger trucks with “Blue Streak” fuel motors and Diesel motors, mostly from Cummins, came later.
Throughout World War II, Autocar supplied 50,000 units to the military; throughout its whole prewar history, the organization had just constructed 70,000 units. Autocar stacked up 85th around United States organizations in the quality of World War II military handling contracts. Non military person generation continued in 1944 and bargains expanded significantly after the war. Autocar soon had 100 merchants.
Then again, the blast after the war finished rapidly, and in 1953, Autocar sold out to White Motor Company. White supplanted Blue Streak motors with its own particular Mustang, and creation of fuel fueled trucks finished in 1965.
The Ardmore plant was displaced in 1954 with another plant in Exton, Pennsylvania, however the Ardmore plant torched while being torn in 1956 and the blaze could have decimated a neighborhood.
Autocar’s “Custom Engineering” process for helping prompted a notoriety as “World’s Finest”.
AP Off-way vehicles turned into a significant item for Autocar. The 1964 Ap19 demonstrated in September 2007 at a Golden Age Truck Museum show “has a GCW of 900,000 lbs, a 30,000lb front pivot, planetary back axles evaluated at 200,000 lbs, and was initially controlled with a 525 HP Cummins V-12 diesel which was later supplanted with a 6-barrel Cummins KT appraised at 750 HP.”
The Exton plant finished generation in 1980, with processing moving to Ogden, Utah.
White was assumed control thus by Volvo in 1980 with Autocar proceeding as a division. In 2001 Andrew Taitz obtained the organization and organized it under Grand Vehicle Works Holdings, which utilized the brand name for their line of trucks.
Autocar Vehicle Model list:
1910 Autocar Type XXII
1908 Autocar Model XV
1907 Autocar Model XV Limousine
1907 Autocar Type XIV 30 hp