The Alter Motor Car Company, of Plymouth, Michigan, handled over 1,000 autos between 1914 and 1916.
The organization was sorted out on January 26, 1914, by Guy Hamilton, F.m. Woodward, and other nearby inhabitants. Development of the plant began in the spring of 1914. Before long, they began creation of the Alter outlined by Clarence Alter of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The auto was created out of part parts delivered to Plymouth by rail and afterward gathered at the Farmer Street production line.
At its top, the plant utilized 100 individuals, and transformed 25 vehicles a day. January 1917, the organization went into receivership, and shut. The production line building still stands on Farmer Street close downtown Plymouth, crosswise over from the Cultural Center. In 2000 it was restored and, as of October 2007, is home to the C.d. Sparling Co., a little assembling organization.
The 1914 model was a five traveler touring auto. A roadster was later presented. The 1916 Alter model was portrayed as “the tasteful look and completion of the higher estimated autos”, by the Plymouth Mail (neighborhood daily paper) on March 3, 1916. The 1916 model had a 27 strength 4-chamber motor, 12 US gallons (45 L; 10 devil gal) fuel tank under the cowl, with a wheelbase of 108 inches (2,700 mm). The 1916 Alter sold for $685.
Stand out Alter model is still known to exist, a 1915 model Alter. In 1959, Mr. & Mrs Dale Blair from Sandusky, Ohio, headed to Plymouth to see the production line where the vehicle was constructed. He later showed the vehicle in the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. Clarence Moore, a contract part of the Plymouth Historical Society inevitably purchased the auto. It is presently on presentation at the Plymouth Historical Museum.
Alter Vehicle Model list:
1917 Alter E-4-30
1917 Alter F-6-40